IBPS PO is one of the most ambitious exams undertaken by candidates hoping to make a career in the Banking sector. The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) conducts the IBPS PO recruitment exam annually for appointing deserving candidates in various posts. The exam is conducted in three stages; the first two tests are conducted online followed by an Interview.
IBPS PO 2017 exams are likely to be conducted in the months of October-November so it’s time to get down to serious business when preparing for the exams. Practie with latest IBPS PO mock test to gain confidence and know your weak areas.
IBPS PO 2017- Exam pattern: The exams are objective in nature and consist of questions from different sections as shown in the table below.
|Section||No. of Questions||Max marks||Time Duration||Section||No. of Questions||Max marks|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||60 minutes||Reasoning||50||50|
|English Language||30||30||General Awareness||40||40|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||35||Quantitative Aptitude||50||50|
IBPS PO 2017 Exam- English language Preparation tips:
English language is one the common papers for any competitive exam. For IBPS PO exams, it carries a weight-age of 30 marks in the Prelims paper and 40 marks in the Mains paper. Some candidates find it difficult to score in English paper because of Vernacular background and other factors. This should not be the reason that comes in between your success. Therefore, let us guide you with some simple preparation tips to score well in this section. Before going through the Preparation tips, here is the detailed syllabus for English language paper.
IBPS PO 2017- Detailed Exam syllabus:
The English Syllabus for IBPS PO Preliminary exam is pretty much the same as compared to other exams, except for a few changes here and there. You will need to solve 30 questions in 15 minutes so; this section will be the real test of your speed. But while attempting in speed, do not forget about accuracy and answer questions only on guesswork. The English section can be broadly divided into four parts:
- No. of Questions: 7-10 Questions (1 Passage)
- Question Types: The passage will be focused on topics like Banking & Economy, Business, and Social Issues etc. Fact and Inference based questions– easy to moderate, Vocabulary & Theme based questions– moderate to tough.
Grammar (Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Fill in the Blanks)
- No. of Questions: 5-10 Questions
- Question Types: Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement/ Sentence Correction, Fill in the Blanks.
- Topics Covered: Tenses, Articles, Prepositions, Subject Verb Agreement, Parallelism, Degrees of Comparison, Sentence Construction, Phrasal Verbs, Pronouns, Adverbs, Non-Finite Verbs, Common Errors etc.
Vocabulary (Cloze Test, Fill in the Blanks, Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement)
- No. of Questions:7-10 Questions
- Easy to Moderate Difficulty, Quick Solving based on Contextual usage, Moderate to High Accuracy possible.
- Question Types: Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Cloze Test (single passage with 5-10 questions), and Fill in the Blanks (Double Blanks).
Verbal Ability (Para Jumbles)
- No. of questions: 0-5 Questions
- Easy, Low to moderately time Consuming, High Accuracy possible.
- Question Types: Para Jumbles
IBPS PO English Preparation tips:
- Tips for Reading Comprehension– First of all, very carefully read the passage and understand the meaning and message behind it. Manage your time in such a way that you don’t have to hurry while reading the passage but also don’t spend much of your time on it. After analyzing the subject matter of the passage, start answering the questions. The best thing about RC is that all information needed for answering questions is included in the passage itself.
- Tips for Grammar– Grammar are the area where there is a tendency that you might make silly mistakes. So ensure that you practice enough for this section. You can prepare by studying School level books and through free Mobile Apps for Grammar. Solving previous question papers can also be a good way to practice.
- Tips for Vocabulary– Vocabulary are a vast and dynamic topic. Therefore, your best chance of acing vocabulary is reading newspapers daily and referring the dictionary often. Try learning 4-5 new words every day and whenever any word pops in your mind, learn the meaning of that word. You can take IBPS PO mock test to practice and solve Vocabulary based questions in the English section.
- Tips for Verbal Ability– This section consists of questions on Para jumbles- arrangement of sentences, completion of paragraph. When solving Para jumbles, always remember that the sentences are interlinked to one another. Look for connectors to make a meaningful story out of the sentences.
Please note that all topics in the English section are equally important and helpful in solving another topic included in the paper. Suppose, you are strong in your Vocabulary, you won’t find difficulty in solving the Verbal Ability part of the English language.
Best books to refer for IBPS PO English language:
- OBJECTIVE GENERAL ENGLISH 1 Edition by R. S Aggarwal
- Comprehensive Guide to IBPS – CWE Bank PO (English) 3rd Edition
- Quick Learning Objective General English (English) 1st Edition Author – R. S. Aggarwal
- Bank PO English Language Chapter-wise Solved Papers 1999 – 2015 (4565+ Objective Questions Of Nationalized & Gramin Bank, IBPS PO/MT/SO, RRBs Officer, SBI, RBI Grade B & Insurance AAO, AO)
All the best.