So you’re all moved in. You’re starting to make new friends. You’ve got your schedule all set. Now it’s almost time to start classes. What can you do to ensure that you’re totally prepared for the semester ahead? Follow these tips to get yourself organized for your first semester of college and you’ll be off to a great start.
- Scope Out Your Class Locations – Take a good look at your schedule and make sure you know how to get to your classes. Likely you’ll be going to buildings that you haven’t yet visited and you’re not totally familiar with your campus yet. It can’t hurt to take a quick walk around campus to ensure that you know where you’re going. There’s nothing more nerve-racking than running late for your first classes.
- Purchase Your Books Before Classes Start – Some students like to wait until after the first day of classes to buy books, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that there will be enough copies of the books you need to go around. Buy your books early to insure that you have what you need from day one.
- Organize Your Assignments – Some people like to use a planner while others will simply work off of their syllabus all semester. Figure out the best system for you and organize your assignments accordingly.
- Figure Out Your Weekly Schedule – In addition to classes, you may want to join activities or start a workout schedule. Take a good look at your obligations and build a workable schedule of add-ins around that. Do your best to not take on more than you can handle, especially your first semester.
- School Supplies – Think through what supplies you will really need for class. Budget for at least a notebook and folder for every class. Supplemental items like a bulletin board, planner, highlighters and post-it-notes will also help you to stay organized over the course of the semester.